- Understand the relationship between DFSMShsm and DFSMS and get an overview of the functions of DFSMShsm and its operating environment.
- Understand the DFSMShsm activities for Primary and Secondary Space Management and setup the required configuration for automatic space management.
- Authorize special users for DFSMShsm commands and perform space management functions using authorized DFSMShsm commands.
- Understand the DFSMShsm activities for Availability Management and setup the required configuration for automatic availability management.
- Implement the Automatic Backup and Recovery Support (ABARS), and perform data set and volume management using authorized DFSMShsm commands.
- Understand DFSMShsm processing in large systems.
- Understand recovery using ABARS, recovery from data set or volume loss, recovery of control data sets and journals.
- Use the AUDIT command to detect and fix discrepancies and the LIST, QUERY and FIXCDS commands to correct error situations.
- Manage and monitor DFSMShsm using log data sets and statistical information as well as manage DFSMShsm tapes.
This is an intermediate course for storage administrators who are new to using DFSMShsm.
You should be familiar with the basic concepts of data storage systems and with storage management activities. This knowledge can be acquired by taking the following two courses:
- An Introduction to Data Storage Subsystems (Classroom) (SS050)
- Storage Management Fundamentals (Classroom) (SS060)
- Storage Management Fundamentals (Instructor-led Online) (SK060)
Equivalent experience may be substituted for these courses.
- Welcome and introduction
- Unit 1: Overview DFSMShsm functions and environment
- Exercise 1: ISMF introduction
- Exercise 1: Review
- Unit 2: Space management
- Exercise 2: Preparing DFSMShsm for space management
- Unit 3: Command space management
- Exercise 3: Command space management
- Exercise 3: Review
- Unit 4: Availability management
- Exercise 4: Preparing DFSMShsm for availability management
- Unit 5: Command availability management
- Exercise 5: Command availability management
- Exercise 5: Review
- Unit 6: DFSMShsm in large systems
- Unit 7: Recovery
- Exercise 6: Recovery
- Unit 8: DFSMShsm forward recovery
- Exercise 7: Forward recovery
- Exercise 7: Review
- Unit 9: Managing and monitoring DFSMShsm